Sunday, January 31, 2010

Computer Literate Kids and Podcasts

Media Literacy and Little Kids Big Potential

These kids are amazing. They know so much more about computers than I do. Before EDM 310 I only used a computer to write papers, do some research, and use facebook. I never blogged much less read other people's blog. These kids are in first grade and are already using these tools. They are way more advanced than I. I know technology is more accessible to students today than it was when i was in elementary, but Mrs Kassidy is using the resources she has to its full potential.

i phone used by one year old

Wow! This is unbelievable. The kid can hardly talk, but he knows how to use an iphone. This next generation is going to so far more advanced than my generation. We as teachers need to learn that this generation is going to be dependent on technology, and as their teachers we need to adapt to their ways of learning. Children learn so much faster visually than audibly. So why do so many teachers just lecture? Teachers need to be hands on for the student to reach the highest capability.

Podcasts

Personally I do not like podcast. The reason being I am a visual person and I will get distracted if I don't have anything to look at. I find myself listening then all of a sudden my mind has wandered and ten minutes later I have no idea what I just heard.

I enjoyed a few of the podcast and others I didn't. The kidcast podcast I enjoyed. It was very informative about video podcasting. I personally like the video podcast because I can see someone or something. This was interesting and therefor a could pay attention a little bit. The reasons he gave for choosing a podcast made some sense. I did not like This Week in Photography. They were not professional about the topic they were speaking of and they had to many jokes or comments that were racist. I would have to disagree that photography is not racist. The smartboard lesson was informative but I lost interest because the speaker was kind of monotone and boring.

In the podcast I make I want to be informative, but not boring. I want to keep my audiences attention, but be serious about the topic. Too many jokes can be over the top, but a monotone serious speaker will put you to sleep in a heartbeat.


5 comments:

  1. There are video podcasts as well (sometimes referred to as vodcasts.) I actually watch several of them each week on my tv; Cranky Geeks, Tekzilla, and Hd Nation are my favorites. Why not give them a try?

    Mr. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you may have changed your mind about podcasts after listening to the next assignment.

    Make yours interesting, exciting, an example for your students to be!

    Plan, Prepare, Practice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about not particularly liking the podcasts because I am a visual learner as well. I have a hard time paying attention, and I do enjoy the video podcast much more than just the audio podcast. I also like the Kidcast podcast because I found it very interesting and easy to pay attention to. I did not really enjoy the Photography or the SmartBoard podcast because they were boring and I do not remember what they were about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Luke!! Great blogs!! I agree! These kids are awesome! The technology kids are learning these days is amazing. This technology would have been very helpful as children. As upcoming teachers we have to open to learning and growing with our students. Keep up the good work!! :)

    ReplyDelete