Sunday, February 28, 2010

Week 7

This is How We Dream

In part one Dr. Miller began talking about incremental changes into today's reading and writing. Writing used to be done by pen and paper now a person can use other information and copy and paste and it saves tons of time. Research is available everywhere due to the use of laptops and wireless, instead of only being able to research inside of a library. Collaboration is another incremental change.

In part two Dr. Miller talked about sharing ideas over the web through itunes u. He talks about a classroom that not only uses word processing but all digital multimedia. He uses youtube and blogs as a form of publication. I think this would be a great classroom to be in. He wants information to be shared all over the globe.

The Networked Student

This would be a great way to learn. The idea of connectivism is for a person to develop a PLN and to share ideas through the PLN. This makes the classroom very student active. This seems as if it is a very progressive classroom and the student decides what he wants to learn. I don't think i would want to teach in a classroom like this.

Toward A new Future of Whatever

Michael Wesch says media shapes our conversations. He says television is a major creation of our culture. We are a coherent culture these days. Michael Wesch showed a picture of one of his classrooms and an American Idol auditions and compared each other. He said people feel they are insignificant because they feel there are others out the exactly like me and you have to be on T.V. to be significant. I think people do not realize how important they are. I think a lot of people think the world would be the same without me, but I think that is the wrong attitude. Wesch talks about the the progression of the word whatever. I thought this was an interesting video.

7 comments:

  1. I love your comments! You're right when you say that the networked students are a lot more active, making them a lot more responsible for their own learning. Our job as teachers is to expose all of our students to progressive and higher learning, help them set and achieve their own goals and then watch them flourish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused. You start your paragraph about the Connected Student with "This would be a great way to learn.". You end with"I don't think i would want to teach in a classroom like this." Which is correct? I would love to be the teacher (or learning coordinator) in a class where students were excited about learning. Sounds like a dream job to me!
    Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If every child chose exactly what they wanted to learn it would be very difficult for you as an educator to stay on task with what is required to teach. I agree that a PLN is a great way to expand the learning horizons, but at the same time I think it can pull away from an actual classroom. I guess you need balance with everything...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Strange, To clear things up a little. I think that this would be an addition to a normal classroom, but not become the entire class if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just think there needs to be a common curriculum. I don't think the student should decide everything they are going to learn

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK. That's a good point. But it can't be all teacher centered either. And I think you agree with me there.

    Even with technology we can have a socratic dialogue! Great!

    ReplyDelete